Angie's Pet Care   |   P.O. Box 241 Hudson, Ohio 44236   |   Phone: 216-548-5551   |   Email: matthew@angiespetcare.com
Home
New Client login
Current Client - Book Appointment
NEW CHILDREN'S BOOK:
Adopting Jake
Pet Services & Fees
Contact Info
Photo Gallery
Affiliations
Links
Staff
What's New?
Fostering & Adopting
Submit Your Pets Photo
Join Our Mailing List
We're Competing badge

CoCoa Mulch - Deadly to Pets

11-21-2019

Article was passed onto me  - Please when buying Mulch at Garden Centers, Home Depot or Lowes look at what you buying.

Save a Pets life !

 


Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased
> > Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it
> > smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden.
> > Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat
> > and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was
> > typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any
> > way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning
> > walk . Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.
> >
> > Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon
> > further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY
> > toxic to dogs and cats.
> >
> > Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It
> > is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa
> > Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).
> > However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'
> >
> > This Snopes site gives the following information:
> >
> > http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
> >
> > Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply
> > and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called '
> > Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate
> > and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die.
> > Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is
> > in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic
> > to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of th
> > eobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and
> > theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch
> > made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17
> > hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao
> > bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
> >
> >
> > PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!
> >


Comment this article   *Comments must be approved before they are viewable
Your Name:
Enter the code to the left in the box below
All Rights Reserved 2019, Angie's Pet Care - Admin Login   |   Web Site Developed by Alt Media Studios